Sunday, March 25, 2018

Project 8 Quilting a postcard


Challenges is what makes us progress, either through reading, or learning new skills, be it making mini quilts or on more scientific topics.

To practice free motion quilting - such a scary thing to do - I figured the easiest would be to start on small projects. What better way to do than to participate in a post card swap organized by Patty at Elm Street Quilts. I signed up and my adventure started.

The instructions were quite clear: make a post card for a quilt friend not bigger than 4x6 inches using the prompt you will receive. I received the prompt grey.

I started drawing on paper different lay outs, had no idea what to make .... only that I had to make it from my stash. After all I had all the ingredients: grey fabric (not solid, mixed with different colours such as red and white), cream coloured fabric for the back, regular batting, and batting for sturdiness to give it the idea of a postcard.

I made several drawings and settled on this one


The colours would be little grey blocks, some triangles in the same fabric using the more red part, a diagonal bar across to give it some depth, one small square in cream and a triangle in cream. I cut, sew and ironed the front side.


And then .... drama .... I did not like what I made ........ should I start all over again .... I went to pinterest for some inspiration and there was just too much choice .....

I decided to finish the post card. If I still disliked after finishing I could always throw it away and make a new one.

I added the two different battings, cut the back side and started sewing across the card to stabilize the different layers.


That was actually easier than expected. On the diagonal bar started playing with FMQ, and as I progressed I liked the card more and more.

I arrived at the white triangle and decided to change the course of the sewing by making perpendicular sewing lines ... if I was not going to be a bit more daring I would never go for it.


Some of the instructions I had read, was to give a zig zag at the edges of the card. Too simple maybe as it would not fit with the rest of the FMQ. I used one of the embroidery lines of my machine for the finish.



And when I was done I just really liked the end result. I hope that my secret quilting friend also will like the card.


11March

3 comments:

  1. Dear "Isis" - I love the postcard - I got it this week - thank you for this lovely grey creation! Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading about your design process to make a GREY postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interpretation of the GREY prompt. Unusual prompt and and lovely result!

    ReplyDelete